Friday, October 31, 2008

Yup, I grew that...

So, I don't really have a green thumb, more like a semi-black one. Everything that I have tried to grow indoors dies on me - I water them, I put them in sunlight, I've even tried talking to them, but nothing works. Every plant kicks the bucket and does it in rather quick and dramatic fashion.

That's indoors. Apparently, I am much luckier outdoors. I put in a garden this year and last with the help of my father-in-law. I grew green beans, lots of tomatoes, a whole load of cucumbers, potatoes, and strawberries this year. The strawberry plants looked really good, but I didn't get anything out of it - no big surprise this year.

Everything came up really well. I was drowning in cucumbers, had too many beans to count, the tomatoes popped up and my potatoes had beautiful leaves and flowers. I dug around the potato plants a few times earlier in the summer and found nothing so I figured that something bad had happened and I my plants had kicked the bucket. Imagine my surprise when Dean walks into the house and shows off this big red Pontiac potato from MY GARDEN!

That was a joyous day - my potatoes were growing.

Just a couple days ago, Mike walks down into our room and shows me this giant, mutant potato - 2 1/2 pounds! Yep, 2 1/2 pounds of glorious goodness. Well, we mashed it up that night and ate it with some meatballs. It was tasty.

We dug up the rest of the plants last night and found another few ginormous potatoes living underground. One was even bigger than my monster from Saturday - 2 3/4 pounds! Here's a picture next to a quart canning jar:


And, here's one on the scale - if you click on the picture, you can read how much it weighs:

Pretty nuts, eh? Yep, I grow big potatoes.

No comments: